Sunday, January 30, 2011

Aisles (Homework)

I never thought I would’ve walked through a grocery store like that, or for what I was getting, or with what I had on me at the time.  Going to the grocery store should be like a micro celebration, gathering food and drink for the feast to come.  I preferred to do it with friends, that way I knew we would have a badass barbeque with bratwurst, steak, hamburgers and hotdogs all around.  But this adventure to the grocery store could very well be my last.
It all started last month, when a new prescription hit the market.  Promising everything under the sun.  What wasn’t expected was the result of those who were intolerant of what it brought.  I didn’t think it was something that would escalate to this level but obviously I am dead wrong.  More dead than the people.  Well, that would be wrong too.  Cause those who couldn’t handle the prescription died, they didn’t stay that way.  This felt way too much like something made just for a cheesy B-movie.
Back in the store I was what you could say, heavily armed.  As far as what a civilian with an average paycheck can get.  A semi-auto AK-47 and enough ammo to make a few days if I don’t get carried away.  Being from a former gun nut family sure has its benefits.
Lets see, there are 7 of us in our stronghold and 2 of us to carry as much as we can.  2 full shopping carts should be easy enough if we go one at a time.  My SUV should be good enough to hold our food and keep it safe for our duration here.
Back at the apartment, the rest of us were converting the floor into a fortress.  Since most people fled during the initial crisis we decided to wait it out.  A mistake? Perhaps, but we’re willing to ride it out till the military comes rolling through.  It’ll be hard for them to miss our SOS setup.  Since most of downtown had been turned into our playground we were able to make quite the vast alert and attention getting system.
But enough talk about that.  I looked at my best friend, he was ready.  We entered the grocery store fast but cautious, its condition was a little worse than we expected, but for the most part it looked to be in fair condition, we should be able to make out like bandits.  Non perishable food items first, taking the boxes that weren’t ruined in anyway.  Then to check the meats, the winter cold had kept them in a condition that looked safe, any sealed packages came with us.  Some stress essentials were also taken.  Beer, candy, snacks.  We took it all.  Well, everything that wasn’t ruined, spoiled, rotten, open, or molded.
That’s one cart down, I felt we should make our way back and begin the second lap.  A clash boomed from the far side of the store.  I pulled my gun up and looked around, the low light was very dangerous for us.  It was just my luck that flashlights were in the next aisle.  I snuck around and threw a flashlight together faster than ever. I tossed one to my friend and assembled another.  The sound of grunting and moaning was near, I started for the entrance.
During that moment I thought of the crisis from a month ago.  People running around unsure of what to do, liberals trying to demand someone else do something and the freeway cluttered to the point there was no movement, and that’s where the major death toll occurred.  The freeway is a place where people go to die right now, so many just shuffling around not knowing what to do.  The problem we have with where we set up our fortress, is that we’re surrounded by a looping freeway.  A wall of hundreds just waiting for us.  But like I said, we weren’t about to leave anytime soon.
The SUV was ready and waiting.  I opened the rear and we started throwing the food in the back, while keeping a keen eye out for our unwelcome guest.  Another crash from the store. I’m fed up by this time, I pulled my gun up to scan the dark for movement.  I never thought that juggling a flashlight and a full size rifle would be this hard, but its not important.  Another crash followed by moaning, our unwanted guest was not alone.

No comments: