Saturday, August 27, 2011

Combat academy Part 1 (*Random)

Combining robots, I wish something like that were possible. A collection of various vehicles forming around a single robot to create an even bigger robot.  The unfortunate truth of the matter is that its just not practical.  Weight/balance/mobility are key to a machines assets. I would know, as a pilot in training that these elements can make a difference between victory and defeat.

What, am I reciting stuff for an exam or something? I'm already late to class, Its my first day even. Not so much for a first impression, unless my impression is 'fashionably late' which its not.  At least the academy is in view now.

I park my truck and shuffle down the white and silver hallway to my first class 'close quarters combat' I open the door and like a tidal wave every head in class is staring at me.

"You're late, Mr..." The teacher said, somewhat upset.

"Wheeler, Marcus. I'm sorry for being tardy sir"

"Just shut it and take a seat" he said.  I found an empty chair close to the window, the girl next to me had the same blue and red BDU on as I did, which meant she was in the armored division.  She had long black hair with a green tint to it tied into a low ponytail. I also couldn't help but notice her whole left arm was wrapped in bandages, not a single bit of skin was showing.  Whatever, I need to focus.

Class ended soon after I sat down, the girl next to me looked at me like I had done something impressive.

"You've got guts walking into his class lake like that, he likes to douche on everyone who disrupts class" She said.

"Its not like I did it on purpose, didn't get into town till four last night.  Doesn't leave much time for sleep" I said, rubbing the back of my neck.

"So where were you shipped in from? Desert, Forrest?" We in the combat don't like to name names so we keep things simple.

"Tundra actually" I said.

"Is that so? how's the heat and humidity getting to you here?" She pulled at her uniform, the humid air made everything a little damp.

"Honestly, I'm liking it" It wasn't a complete truth but I couldn't go back on it now.

"Can't say the feeling is mutual. I'm Vela by the way, Vela Maxwell" She gestured to the girl in front of her, she was wearing a tan and black BDU, Ninja division.

"This is my friend **Whisper, ND" Whisper waved at me. She had dark brown hair and red eyes, though to be fair, everyone in ND had red eyes, and none of them went by their real names. Whisper didn't come off as a ninja, she was rather small and seemed like she would have a better chance of being in the Communications division.

"So what's your next class Marcus? Field testing?" It was in fact, I would feel better if she had that class too. "I do actually" I said. "Then we'll go together" While she was nice it seemed strange, almost a little too nice. Our division, while peaceful among'st ourselves we often get heated in the field, A little more than 'friendly competition' and I still don't know what the deal is with her arm.  I keep my guard up while we walk and Whisper disappears some point while we're chatting.

We get outside and I find I don't like the humidity all that much, while better than 60 below 0 its still very uncomfortable, at least I stayed dry in the Tundra.  We enter the abnormal vehicle hangar.  If things went as they should've my mech should be here.  We approach a desk where terminals are placed. I enter my student ID.

"Hangar 35" I said, thinking out loud."

"I'm in 30" Vela said. We hop in a shuttle and move down the aisles. While most of the doors were shut, I did get a glimpse of a few of the abnormal vehicles.  Not too many mechs from what I could see, the ones I did get a look at weren't much too impressive. Vela stops in front of her hangar, the doors closed.

"See you on the playing field" she said, leaving the shuttle. I watch her until she out of sight. I see her reach for her bandaged arm before she's gone.  I stop in front of 35 and enter.  I'm relieved to find my GGX13 waiting for me. I had it repainted before it arrived, its signature dark green and black. I liked to call him The Highwayman.  It sounds better than the model name.  While not too much too look at on the outside, its innards are what makes it stand out.

*While random now, it might become a new series. Just saying.
**Name subject to change (If I deem necessary)
BDU (Battle dress uniform) color determines division

No comments: